So last week I blogged about trying to make time for all that I wanted to do, and I set up a plan for the week ahead….setting time aside to do the tasks I’d planned.
Well let’s just say it didn’t go all that well, pretty much from the start. What I hadn’t really accounted for was the way I realistically feel in the evenings, particularly on work nights!! I’d not really considered how absolutely exhausted I am by 7pm. Hmm….probably quite an important thing to bear in mind when scheduling a lot of things in the evenings 🙄
I’ve had depression for the last couple of years and although I am 90% better than I was, my sleep is still very disturbed. Naturally this makes me tired, and having a busy and stressful day job which can be emotionally draining too, leaves me little in reserve for the evening. Once we’ve eaten, all I feel like doing is sleeping!
Needless to say…I’ve had to have a total rethink, and these are the main things I’ve learnt, and what I need to consider for future scheduling:
- Any task that requires brain power, decision making or serious thought, needs to wait until the weekend, or my day off!
- A basic tidy up of the house in the evening is enough.
- I need to listen to my body and rest if I’m exhausted.
- I need to work on my bedtime/sleep routines.
- Tasks and projects are going to take me longer to complete, but it’s not a race or a competition. My pace will be fine.
- Housework is best completed in one block of time, with a time limit of 3 hours maximum given to it.
- I need to think more flexibly, and do tasks/projects when I have the energy – otherwise I feel like a failure, if things don’t get done at the scheduled time.
Much as I’m craving a simple life….it’s not easy. How do you manage your schedule?